How to Jump a Car Battery
A battery is what provides electricity necessary to power all the electrical components in your automobile. Without a working battery, the car won’t run, leaving you stranded in Atlantic City, Egg Harbor, or Vineland.
But, even if the car stalls, you can still bring the battery back to life with a jump-start. Below, we’ll tell you exactly how to jump a car battery. Read through the information, and don’t hesitate to contact us at BMW of Atlantic City if you have any questions about your car battery.
Make sure the good car drives up to your car so that the two batteries are as close as possible. Then, get those jumper cables ready, and complete the following steps…
- Place both cars in Park or Neutral, shut both ignitions off, and engage both parking brakes.
- Attach one red ‘positive’ cable to the good car’s battery terminal, then the other ‘positive’ cable to your car’s battery terminal.
- Attach the black ‘negative’ cable to the good car’s battery. Then, attach the other ‘negative’ cable to a solid, unpainted metal surface (like a bolt) on your car. This should be placed as far away from the battery as possible. And you definitely don’t want to connect to the negative post of the dead battery, as an explosion could occur.
- Start the good car first, and wait two minutes. Then, start your car, and wait two minutes.
- Remove the cables in the reverse order that they were attached.
- Let your vehicle run for two more minutes, and then you’re ready to drive off!
If the Process Doesn’t Work…
The above steps are the most surefire to get the battery working again. However, if the car still won’t start, then a variety of factors could be in play.
First, the battery terminals could be corroded. The metal from the clamps must be touching the metal of the terminal for the process to work. So, you may have to grind the terminals back and forth a bit in order to remove the gunk.
If that doesn’t work, then the battery could be old. If you know the battery is at least four years old, then it’s time to get a new one. If the battery isn’t that old, there then could be issues with other components, like:
- Faulty alternator
- Ignition switch
- Starter connection
If you’re not sure what the issue is, then it’s best to bring the car to a reliable service center.
Schedule Car Battery Service
At BMW of Atlantic City, our technicians will jump your car’s battery, or replace it, if necessary. If a replacement is warranted, we’ll only use the highest quality battery that fits inside your automobile perfectly.
If you need battery service near Atlantic City, Egg Harbor, or Vineland, give us a call, or schedule service online. Give us info about your car, along with days and times that work for you, and we’ll reach out to confirm an appointment.
Don’t wait. Schedule battery service today!